National Banana Split Day
Five Food Finds about Banana Splits
- The banana split was invented in 1904 at Strickler’s Drug Store in Pennsylvania.
- A banana split starts with a banana split lengthwise, topped with scoops of ice cream, assorted syrups and finally whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.
- A banana split is an ice cream-based dessert. In its classic form it is served in a long dish called a boat.
- A banana is cut in half lengthwise (hence the split) and laid in the dish.
- There are many variations, but the classic banana split is made with scoops of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream served in a row between the split banana.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1840 Joseph Gibbons received a patent for a seeding machine.
1910 Arnold Neustadter was born. Inventor of the Rolodex rotating card file.
1935 Curtis Fletcher Marbut died. American geologist and…
View original post 31 more words